This position is responsible for leading and managing a department of professional and technical employees; preparing budgets, delivering on Toxicology, PK and other in-life studies to support a diverse range of client’s needs. In addition to being a recognized expert in the field of general Toxicology, the ideal candidate will have significant expertise in management of a group of technical experts, project management and experience of working in a fast-moving environment. The successful candidate will work closely with other functional areas to ensure that appropriate resources are available to support the overall department efforts (i.e., Finance, Business Development, Human Resources, Safety, Facilities). Incumbent will develop a highly efficient, profitable, and quality oriented staff team, while providing subordinates with opportunities for professional growth.
- Establish department strategy and Responsible for the effective operation of department activities that have an impact on the organization.
- Accountable for department revenue
- Prepare, review and submit proposals to clients; interact with existing clients to monitor work progress on existing grants / contracts to ensure profitability
- Develop new client
- Ensure effective management or programs or processes to include relevant compliance
- Directs research and development programs consisting of multiple related projects involving collaborations with other groups both within and outside of the
- Creates the work culture that values teamwork and holds people
- Delivers high quality products to support sales
- May be asked to serve on internal ad hoc committees as well as external review committees.
Position Specific Responsibilities
- Primary customer interface for the department to generate cost estimates and proposals, negotiate terms and conditions of contractual
- Oversees the implementation of projects to ensure project meets time, quality, and cost Will frequently use independent judgment to make decisions and must exercise a high level of confidentiality to disseminate sensitive information.
- Manages departmental staff to include hiring, training, advancing, appraising, motivating, disciplining, and assuring healthy and safe working conditions of staff members. Implements HR processes and other administrative responsibilities associated with the direct supervision of professional and technical resources of the functional
- Responsible for budget development and monitoring; ensures the appropriateness of time and materials charges to projects, and manage the integration and timely support provided by these groups to other
- Retain currency in field of specialization by staying abreast of changes, both internal and external, which affect the operation of the
- Implements and observes appropriate safety and study requirements by reading, understanding, and following Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) requirements, and study
- Implements and observes appropriate safety and health practices including personal protective equipment (PPE) and safe laboratory
- Perform other duties as may be required by senior level management. Requirements/Minimum Qualifications
- PhD in Toxicology or closely related
- Ten + years of directly related functional experience with a minimum of two years managing a professional
- Experience in Developmental and Reproductive Toxicology (DART).
- Possess expert knowledge and is a recognized authority within the field of specialization.
- Must possess ability to interact and communicate effectively with staff members, other Institute personnel, clients, and customers
- Demonstrated project management experience and prior experience with resource allocation.
- Knowledge of business acumen and practices; ability to understand and apply cost and financial accounting
- CRO experience
- Current DABT accreditation
Core Organizational Behaviors
Customer Focus – Makes customers and their needs a primary focus of one’s actions; develops and sustains productive customer relations.
Contributes to Team Success – Actively participates as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals.
Builds Trust – Interacts with others in a way that gives them confidence in one’s intentions and those of the organization.
Results Achievement – Takes prompt action to accomplish objectives; takes action to achieve goals beyond what is required; is proactive.
Safety Awareness – Identifies and corrects conditions that affects employee safety; upholds safety standards.
Job Specific Behaviors
Strategic Decision Making – Obtains information and identifies key issues relevant to achieving a long-range goal; commits to a course of action after developing alternatives based on logical assumptions, facts, constraints and resources.
Operational / Technical Excellence - Ensures that work product (whether service or process) enables the organization to deliver on customer’s expectations.
Builds Strategic Relationships - Uses appropriate interpersonal styles to work effectively with others to meet mutual goals and objectives; understands the role & interrelationships of each organizational function. Possess skill in managing across functional and organizational lines.
Communicates with Impact - Expresses thoughts and ideas effectively in individual and group situations; adjusts language to the needs of the audience.
Drives for Results - Establishes stretch goals and manages to focused outcomes. Demands excellence. Demonstrates a strong commitment to organizational success; works to do what is best for all stakeholders.
Change Leadership - Encourages others to seek opportunities for different and innovative approaches to addressing problems and opportunities; facilitates the implementation and acceptance of change within the workplace.
Builds and Maintains Winning Teamwork - Creates a climate of teamwork to achieve objectives, taking advantage of our diversity; creates a sense of ownership and encourages individuals to stretch beyond their own capabilities.
Coaches / Develops Others - Uses appropriate interpersonal style to guide direct reports to action.
Business Knowledge - Maintains external awareness of technology or business sectors; supplies knowledge of Institute’s culture, business processes and tools to achieve goals.
Work Environment & Conditions
This position will work in both an office and laboratory setting. Use of a computer for extended periods of time may be necessary. Ability to wear appropriate PPE when entering laboratory settings is required.
Certifications, Licenses & Registrations
Apply for job here: https://southernresearch.org/careers/available-positions/
Contact: Amy Schoenthaler, email@example.com