California’s Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) is seeking to hire a Senior Toxicologist with experience evaluating adverse effects on reproduction and development.
OEHHA conducts cutting-edge work to protect and enhance public health and the environment through the scientific evaluation of risks posed by hazardous substances. These evaluations are frequently the subject of statewide, national and even international interest, and are used by various regulatory programs in California.
The Senior Toxicologist will provide expert scientific oversight and supervision of a team responsible for providing technical support for listing chemicals as causing reproductive toxicity under Proposition 65, developing guidelines for assessing risks of exposure to chemicals that cause reproductive toxicity, and conducting dose-response and exposure assessment. Specifically, the duties of the Senior Toxicologist include:
- Supervising reproductive/developmental hazard identification and hazard assessment activities, including directing the analysis by technical staff of scientific studies providing evidence on reproductive/developmental hazards.
- Directing the preparation of technical documents summarizing the findings from epidemiologic studies, animal studies, and other relevant studies (e.g., pharmacokinetics, mechanisms) on chemicals.
- Developing or reviewing the most complicated issues related to reproductive/ developmental hazard identification to ensure that scientific data and uncertainties are appropriately characterized.
- Directing the assessment by technical staff of reproductive/developmental risks from exposures to environmental agents in the diet, air, water, home and workplace, and directing the evaluation of exposure sources, pathways, and levels by technical staff.
- Providing toxicological expertise in the development and implementation of new methodologies in dose-response and exposure assessment.
- Supervising the development of white papers on reproductive/developmental risk methodology and guidance.
Please see the complete job announcement for working in either our Sacramento or Oakland office, with links to the full duty statement. For more information about OEHHA or other open positions at our agency, please visit https://oehha.ca.gov/about.
Important: In order to be eligible for a job with the State of California, you MUST have successfully passed an examination for the specific classification and been placed on an employment eligibility list. To establish your eligibility, please see the examination bulletin for the Senior Toxicologist classification at https://www.calcareers.ca.gov/JOBSGEN/9BYDD.PDF.
- Possession of a Doctoral degree in Toxicology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Physiology, or a closely related specialty.
- Either: a) one year of experience in California state service performing the duties of a Staff Toxicologist; or b) four years of postdoctoral experience in toxicology or closely related field, including the interpretation of toxicological findings relative to probable human health or aquatic life hazards, and one year of experience in the development and design of toxicological research and investigative studies.
- Knowledge and proficiency in general principles of toxicology, with an emphasis in the areas of reproductive and developmental biology/toxicology.
- An understanding of the general principles of public health and risk assessment.
- Ability to critically review and evaluate highly complex scientific studies and other information relevant to reproductive/developmental risk assessment.
- Knowledge of principles and techniques of effective supervision and the department’s Equal Employment Opportunity program.
- Ability to produce high quality work products that clearly and concisely convey scientific findings and concepts.
Salary: $10,820.00 - $13,452.00 Monthly